COURTS AND JUDGES
Published in 2005. Hampshire, England: Ashgate. In the International Library of Essays in Law and Society.
ISBN: 0 7546 2475 7
Lee Epstein, editor
This book houses twenty of "best already published articles" on courts and judges. The list of articles follows; click here (.pdf) for my introduction to the volume (uncorrected page proofs).
The Selection and Retention of Judges
- Cameron, Charles M., Albert D. Cover and Jeffrey A. Segal. 1990. “Senate Voting on Supreme Court Nominees: A Neoinstitutional Model.” American Political Science Review 84: 525-534.
- Moraski, Brian J. and Charles R. Shipan. 1999. “The Politics of Supreme Court Nominations: A Theory of Institutional Choice and Constraints.” American Journal of Political Science 43:1069-1095.
- Hall, Melinda Gann. 1987. “Constituent Influence in State Supreme Court: Conceptual Notes and a Case Study.” Journal of Politics 49:1117-1124.
Judicial Decision Making
- Pritchett, C. Herman. 1941. “Divisions of Opinion among Justices of the U.S. Supreme Court.” American Political Science Review 35:890-898.
- Walker, Thomas G., Lee Epstein and William J. Dixon. 1988. “On the Mysterious Demise of Consensual Norms in the United States Supreme Court.” Journal of Politics 50:361-389.
- Schubert, Glendon. 1958. “The Study of Judicial Decision-Making as an Aspect of Political Behavior.” American Political Science Review 52:1007-1025.
- Caldeira, Gregory A., John R. Wright and Christopher J. Zorn. 1999. “Sophisticated Voting and Gate-Keeping in the Supreme Court.”Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization 15:549-572.
- Segal, Jeffrey A. 1984. “Predicting Supreme Court Decisions Probabilistically: The Search and Seizure Cases.” American Political Science Review 78:891-900.
- Goldman, Sheldon. 1966. “Voting Behavior on the United States Courts of Appeals, 1961-1964.” American Political Science Review 60:374-383.
- Giles, Micheal W. and Thomas G. Walker. 1975. “Judicial Policy-Making and Southern School Desegregation.” Journal of Politics 37:917-936.
- Sherry, Suzanna. 1986. “Civic Virtue and the Feminine Voice in Constitutional Adjudication.” Virginia Law Review 72:543-616.
- Posner, Richard A. 1993. What Do Judges and Justices Maximize? (The Same Thing Everybody Else Does). Supreme Court Economic Review 3:1-41.
- Maltzman, Forrest and Paul J. Wahlbeck. 1996. “Strategic Policy Considerations and Voting Fluidity on the Burger Court.” American Journal of Political Science 90:581-592.
Limitations on Judicial Power
- Murphy, Walter F. 1959. “Lower Court Checks on Supreme Court Power.” American Political Science Review 53:1017-1031.
- Cross, Frank B. and Emerson H. Tiller. 1998. “Judicial Partisanship and Obedience to Legal Doctrine: Whistleblowing on the Federal Courts of Appeals.” Yale Law Journal 107:2155-2175.
- Eskridge, Jr., William N. 1991. “Overriding Supreme Court Statutory Interpretation Decisions.” Yale Law Journal 101:331-417.
- Helmke, Gretchen. 291-303. “The Logic of Strategic Defection: Court-Executive Relations in Argentina Under Dictatorship and Democracy.” American Political Science Review 96:291-303.
The Role of Courts in Democracies
- Dahl, Robert A. 1957. “Decision-Making in a Democracy: The Supreme Court as a National Policymaker.” Journal of Public Law 6:279-295.
- Rosenberg, Gerald N. 1999. “African-American Rights After Brown.” Journal of Supreme Court History 24:201-225.
- Franklin, Charles H. and Liane C. Kosaki. 1989. “Republican Schoolmaster: The U.S. Supreme Court, Public Opinion, and Abortion.” American Political Science Review 83:751-771.